A Three-Part Professional Learning Module
Leading school turnarounds is difficult work that requires specific competencies. This three-part professional learning module, developed through a partnership between the Center on Great Teachers and Leaders, the Center on School Turnaround, Public Impact, and the University of Virginia Darden/Curry Partnership for Leaders in Education, provides state and district leaders with tools to identify and apply turnaround leader competencies to the selection and development of school turnaround leaders.
The module is divided into three parts:
1) Understanding Turnaround Leader Competencies,
2) Recruiting and Selecting Turnaround Leaders, and
3) Developing and Supporting Turnaround Leaders.
Materials for each part include a facilitator’s guide, a PowerPoint presentation, and handouts.
These materials may be used and adapted to fit the needs of the state and local context. To cite the content, please use the following statement: These materials have been adapted in whole or in part with permission from the Center on Great Teachers and Leaders, the Center on School Turnaround at WestEd, Public Impact, and the University of Virginia Darden/Curry Partnership for Leaders in Education.
Part 1: Understanding Turnaround Leader Competencies
Part 1 of this module focuses on the challenge of leading school turnaround and leader competencies and actions associated with turnaround success.
- Acknowledge the unique challenges of leading school turnaround
- Identify leader competencies and actions associated with turnaround success
- Understand the importance of competencies in turnaround leader selection and development
- Analyze school leader behaviors to identify evidence of competencies
Part 1: Facilitator’s Guide
Part 1: Handouts
Part 1: Presentation Slides
Part 2: Recruiting and Selecting Turnaround Leaders
Part 2 of this module focuses on using turnaround leader competencies to identify, recruit, and select school turnaround leaders.
- Understand the importance of competencies in recruiting and selecting turnaround leaders
- Explore ways to recruit leaders with competencies to turn around persistently low-performing schools
- Experience a competency-based interview and selection process for turnaround leaders
Part 2: Facilitator’s Guide
Part 2: Handouts
Part 2: Presentation Slides
Part 3: Developing and Supporting Turnaround Leaders
Part 3 of this module focuses on how districts can support and develop turnaround leader competencies.
- Understand the district’s role in developing and supporting turnaround leaders
- Examine high-quality adult learning and implications for competency-based development of turnaround principals
- Explore how districts can leverage principal supervisors and others to increase turnaround principal competencies
Part 3: Facilitator’s Guide
Part 3: Handouts
Part 3: Presentation Slides