This report, co-authored by the organization now known as Education Cities and Public Impact, profiles three high-impact city-based organizations that are taking significant strides toward reforming their cities’ education systems: The Mind Trust in Indianapolis, New Schools for New Orleans, and The Skillman Foundation in Detroit.
Through these organizations’ efforts, the report identifies a core set of lessons learned for leaders in other cities:
- Find the right leader or leadership team;
- Embrace strategies and theories of change that reflect local markets;
- Develop a bold, comprehensive plan for reform;
- Grow talent pipelines;
- Support a strong, high-quality charter sector;
- Invest in innovation; and,
- Engage stakeholders in the community to accelerate reform.