Turnaround actions and competencies are leading indicators for turnaround leader and teacher success. Actions are ones common among those leading successful turnaround efforts across sectors; principals and teacher-leaders may find these helpful, and school examples are included. Competencies are the habits of behavior and underlying motivations that help predict how people will do their jobs and can be used for selection, evaluation, development, and career advancement.
Principals Competencies and Actions
- Two-page checklists of turnaround principal actions and competencies. Use for fast reference.
- School Turnaround Leaders: Competencies for Success: This guide provides a summary of turnaround principal actions, definitions of competencies, and detailed descriptions of increasing levels of effective competence. It also provides examples of principal actions and competencies, including ones gathered from Opportunity Culture turnarounds. Featured:
- Self-assessment: Turnaround Leader Competencies: This self-assessment allows turnaround principals to reflect on current strengths and areas for leadership development.
- Self-assessment: Turnaround Leader Actions: This self-assessment allows turnaround principals to reflect on current strengths and areas for leadership development
- Coaching and Developing Turnaround Leader Actions: This professional learning module, developed through a partnership between Public Impact, the Center on Great Teachers and Leaders, the Center on School Turnaround, and the University of Virginia Darden/Curry Partnership for Leaders in Education, provides state and district leaders with tools to coach and develop school turnaround principals to take key actions.
Teacher-Leader and Multi-Classroom Leader Competencies
- Multi-classroom Leader Job Description and Competencies
- Opportunity Culture Teacher and Staff Selection Toolkit: This includes competencies for teachers and teacher-leaders.
- Evaluation, Accountability, and Professional Development in an Opportunity Culture: This also includes the competencies for teachers and teacher-leaders.
- Teacher-Leader Self-Assessment for Competencies