Principal Planning Tools
The Tools below are designed to assist principals in achieving rapid results in turnaround schools.
- Turnaround Presentation: coming soon!
- Turnaround Goal Setting Worksheet: This tool helps you identify goals and methods to achieve a successful, sustainable turnaround, including early wins to gain momentum and support for change. It is preloaded with options for Opportunity Culture schools and other turnarounds including teacher-leaders.
- Turnaround Priority Dashboard: This excel document helps identify and track high-priority goals. It is pre-loaded with goals and measures for Opportunity Culture schools and other turnarounds including teacher-leaders.
- School Turnaround Plan: This document provides a place for principals to include key materials to describe the school turnaround plan, including new teacher-leader staffing models.
Implementing, Monitoring, Improving
- Turnaround Priority Dashboard: This excel document helps identify and track high-priority goals. It is pre-loaded with measures to monitor in Opportunity Culture schools and other turnarounds including teacher-leaders.
- Action Planner for Principals in Opportunity Culture Schools: This tool assists principals in identifying actions to launch and sustain change in schools with large numbers of disadvantaged students and/or a history of low learning outcomes, and incorporates the leader actions found in successful turnarounds in schools and other fields. (To see each season in its own document, click on the following links: Summer; Fall; Winter; Spring)
- Standing Agenda: Provides agendas for meetings with principals and teaching team leaders to lead instructional excellence schoolwide.
Teacher and Teacher-Leader Planning Tools
- Teacher-Leader Action Planner—to see each season in its own document, click on the following links: Summer; Fall; Winter; Spring
- Teacher-Leader Sample Agendas: Sample agendas informed by practicing teacher-leaders: Analyzing Student Work, Data Analysis
- Team Organizational Chart: This tool helps teacher-leader clarify roles.
- Also see School Planning Tools that your principal may be using or that you may find helpful if you are helping to lead schoolwide change.
For school planning tools in schools incorporating teacher leadership, but not in turnaround mode, visit OpportunityCulture.org
- Leading Indicators of School Turnarounds: How to Know when Dramatic Change is On Track
In school turnarounds, leading indicators can provide early evidence about whether a school is on track – and if not, how to intervene to increase the odds of success. In this report, we summarize the research and experience from other settings in which leaders have long relied on leading indicators to enhance the likelihood of success. From these lessons, we identify key principles and processes to guide the design and use of leading indicators in education. We also present a starting list of leading indicators and a proposed monitoring timetable for district, state, and other education leaders to use in turnaround schools. Read more…