School turnarounds happen when teachers adopt new instructional and classroom management approaches that help students learn and develop strong behavioral, social and emotional skills for success—fast. This takes a concerted effort with strong leadership and persistent, achievement-oriented collaboration among teachers.
Here, we include materials for Opportunity Culture schools, which extend the reach of excellent teachers and their teams to more students, for more pay, within recurring budgets. All teachers can advance in their careers without leaving the classroom. Advancement allows teachers to earn more and reach more students, and development toward excellence becomes possible for all. Teacher-leaders called multi-classroom leaders have been instrumental in producing high-growth learning fast in Opportunity Culture schools.
Resources to help teachers and teacher-leaders:
- Instructional excellence resources for all teachers
- Turnaround School Planning Tools for teacher-leaders
- Leadership training modules for teacher-leaders
- Redesign your school for teacher leadership and consistent excellence: OpportunityCulture.org.
- Multi-classroom Leader Job Description and Competencies
- Multi-classroom leader school model
- Turnaround Competencies and Actions—Principals and Teachers
- Recruiting and Selecting Turnaround Principals, Teachers, and Teacher-Leaders
- More Resources
In turnaround schools, teacher-leaders such as multi-classroom leaders are an essential component of an Instructional Team of Leaders (ILT) to improve the instructional practice of all teachers and deploy school-wide initiatives. For more information on Instructional Team of Leaders, click here.
Teachers will find more resources and materials on OpportunityCulture.org, where models to extend the reach of excellent teachers and their teams are explained in detail.
- An Opportunity Culture for Teaching and Learning: Introduction
- Ashley Park PreK-8 Launches Multi-Classroom Leadership and Blended Learning
- Teacher Pay and Career Paths in an Opportunity Culture: A Practical Policy Guide
- New Career Paths
- Shooting for Stars: Cross-Sector Lessons for Retaining High-Performing Educators
- Expanding the Pipeline of Teachers and Principals in Urban Public Schools: Design Principles and Conditions for Success